1. Allow the steaks to come to room temperature by removing from the fridge about 30 – 40 minutes before cooking.
2. Pre heat your griddle or heavy based frying pan until it smokes; no oil.
3. Season the steaks just prior to cooking.
4. Do not overcrowd the pan, a couple of medium sized steaks per pan.
5. Place the steaks on the fat to render before searing on the flat sides.
6. Cook your steaks over a high heat turning the steak only once after a rich, golden crust has formed, reduce heat to medium one you have reached this stage.
7. Cook your steaks 4 to 5 minutes each side for medium rare.
8. Leave your steaks to rest in a warm place at least 5 minutes before carving.
Note: The Picanha steaks will become more firm as it cooks, for a medium rare steak it should have a soft feel with a little spring back when pressed with your thumb. The perfect Picanha has a hint of pink in the centre.