1. Remove the meat from the fridge about 1 hour before cooking.
2. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
3. Rub the fillet of beef with plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Heat a large frying pan until smoking; no oil is required. Fry the fillet on all sides until browned. Transfer to a roasting tin.
5. Place the fillet in the centre of the roasting tin. Roast for 23 minutes for medium-rare (only 20 minutes if it is a long, thin piece).
6. When the beef is cooked, remove from the oven, cover with aluminium foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
7. Serve hot; carving the beef into thin slices just before serving.