1. Remove the meat from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking.
2. Preheat oven to 160°C.
3. Place a large casserole dish (big enough to hold the whole blade) over a medium heat and add rapeseed oil and butter. Once foaming, add the beef and colour for a few minutes on each side until dark brown.
4. Add some mirepoix to the pot with a little seasoning, and then turn the heat down low. Cover the casserole with a lid and cook gently for about 15 minutes until the onions are soft and golden.
5. Remove the lid and pour in some stock and/or red wine/ale/stout. Bring up to a simmer, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any bits stuck to the bottom. Stir in some garlic, bay leaves and seasoning to taste.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 3 hours and 30 minutes. After this time, remove from the oven and leave to stand with the lid on for a further hour.